Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Perfectionist Polos (How to Make Your Own Polo Wraps)

In my boredom last month, I decided to attempt to make my own set of polos. The cheapest I can find them online is around $12/set + shipping, and the selection was a little boring. I couldn't justify $25 for the awesome Classic Equine patterned ones so it was off to the fabric store for me.
Some of the awesome polos by Classic Equine
A couple notes about buying fabric for polos (compiled from hours of nearly unnecessary research):

  • The thicker the fleece, the more like the store-bought versions. Most (good) polos are made of heavyweight fleece while the fabric you'll find at the store will most likely be medium and even lightweight. Lightweight fleece = less protection. Be careful with your choice, the cutest fabric may not make the best polos if the quality isn't there.
  • You'll need three (3) continuous yards of your chosen fleece. This will make 3 sets (1 set = 4 polos, so three yards will make 12 total polos). You cannot simply buy 1 yard. It is not long enough. You will be cutting the fleece lengthwise (hotdog style in elementary school terms) so unless you are making polos for a Bryer, make sure your fabric is long enough.
  • Most horse sized polos are 4" wide by 9' long. You can add 1-2 feet in length (which means you'll also have to purchase more than 3 yards of the fleece) for hind legs if you wish. Some cheaper polos may only be 2-3/4 yards long, so if you aren't sure what you need, measure a set you know fits your horse and make the new set to the same dimensions.
  • If you have the choice, go for anti-pill fleece. This fabric will better endure repeated washing. However I've found that its hard to find thick AP fleece so you will just have to sort out your personal priorities.
  • Some patterns won't look as good when made into polos. Keep in mind that when wrapped, many patterns may become unrecognizable. To test a pattern, use your hands to cover the fabric and open your fingers. If you can still recognize the pattern through the openings, it should be good for polos.

 You'll also need a rotary cutter with a sharp blade, cutting mat, scissors, and 2"velcro. You can omit the rotary cutter if you have a good pair of scissors and a LOT of patience, but it really makes life easier. Also, you may have trouble finding 2" velcro at your craft store or it may be really expensive. I got mine here for a really great price!
This is the fabric I chose to make my polos

First, lay your fabric out on the floor. It will most likely have some wrinkles and creases from the purchasing process. If possible, let it sit there and flatten for a few hours.

Next, cut off the ugly part (the white on the side that says the brand and color and stuff) and even out the edge. Having a straight line now will make your life SO much easier down the road.

Measure 4" in from the nice edge and cut one strip at a time. Make sure your cut is straight and even. Any funkiness will translate into pressure points on your horse's legs so be a perfectionist!!

When you have your strips cut out, it should look something like this:

Roll them up and admire your stack of polos.


To sew on the velcro, fold the corners in on one end to form a triangle.Pin your velcro on top of it like this:
this one has been sewn, but shows the concept :)

First sew across, then sew the top part. Your final seams should look something like this:

(Note - I didn't stitch an "X" in the box because lining up those seams would be a major pain. If your horse is tough on his wraps, add the extra stability.)

Sew the "loop" (soft) side of the velcro 6" below the start of the triangle.

I found that my fleece and velcro was slipping all over the place while I tried to sew, resulting in this ugly product -

To remedy this problem, I sprayed the corners with a sewing spray adhesive before folding and again on the back of the velcro before putting it down. Ta-dah! Everything stays in place and the finished product looks much better!

Have fun making your own wraps, some people get really creative and sew ribbon on top of the velcro. If I wasn't too clear on the steps, DIY Dressage has a super detailed tutorial here. I'm looking forward to making another set in Christmas fabric after black Friday sales next week!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Just for curiosity sake, what was you cost investment not including time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job! 'im gonna make a pair myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome tutorial. I'm hoping to make some for my lesson horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Quarantine has led me to start my own company! Fabric is pretty pricey at some points, I will update how my first one went! Wish me the best of luck ❤❤

    ReplyDelete