Saturday, November 29, 2014

Horse Juggling

Here's a fun fact about Desi that I don't think I've mentioned yet - he doesn't load. Its a really serious problem that even professional trainers have been unable to remedy. I had a trainer who specialized in trailer loading problems work with him for a month unsuccessfully and tell me that Desi is the worst case he's seen in 40 years. He was loading fine last spring and then one day he just stopped. And has pretty much refused to get in the trailer again. Long story short, I've started leasing a second horse because I can't say goodbye to Desi but I still want to show. My new lease is a paint gelding that lives at a different barn.

Well, here's where this post title comes into play. I now have to juggle the needs and schedules of two horses that live thirty minutes apart. My trainer (the paint's owner) wants me to work with him 2-3 days per week. Desi needs to be ridden 4-5 days per week with his Saddlebred energy level. So in my new balancing act, I've already discovered a few bits of advice that may prove to be very helpful for those of you considering taking on more than one horse.

  • MAKE A SCHEDULE!! And stick to it! It is possible to accomplish everything in a week if you plan it out beforehand. But nothing will make your life more crazy than diverting from your carefully planned schedule. For example, I ride Desi on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. The paint gets worked with on Mondays and Wednesdays with the occasional Saturday. I give myself Saturdays off most weeks because I'm only human. My body needs a rest and I have other things that need to get accomplished. 
  • Have a separate tack collection and grooming kit for each horse. Not only will this reduce the risk of transferring "gunk" (bacteria, illness, fungus, etc.) between the ponies, but switching between bits on your only bridle every day is not only annoying, but a waste of your time. You can get a cheap schooling bridle at a tack sale or eBay and make your daily life easier.
  • Remember that every horse is different. They will have different "feels" to them and will respond differently to training methods. Be prepared to be patient and flexible.
That's it for now. There's probably a lot more but I don't want to write a book about it :) Hope you guys have a great holiday season and get plenty of time with your furry ponies!

No comments:

Post a Comment