Wednesday, November 19, 2014

DIY Beaded Browband



Yes! I know what you're thinking - less talking, more DIY!! So here's another project I made a few months ago. I think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself...

And yes, this is the first published photo of the illustrious Desi...

The actual beading was itself pretty simple, I just strung my beads and crimped the strand with a tiny loop on each end. For my cob sized saddlebred, a 14" browband (Including the leather ends) was the perfect size. For a bigger horse, you will achieve the best results by measuring a browband that fits and making your beaded one to the same specifications.

The end pieces were made by buying 3/4" leather strips off the internet. These came with unfinished edges so I ended up buying Fiebing's Leather Dye in black and dying the edges with a q-tip. I drilled a hole in the ends using an electric screwdriver with small drill bit but a leather punch would have probably been easier...

I popped in a couple chicago screws that I had laying around and sandwiched the bead loops between the leather and put the screws through the middle.
Voila!

I also discovered that not every idea makes a great browband... Check out this fail
I bought some more accent beads at Michaels on sale last month so I'm looking forward to making some new browbands over the holidays!
Hope you are inspired! I've seen similar ideas done for one ear western headstalls too if you feel adventurous...

No comments:

Post a Comment