Thursday, December 18, 2014

Updates

I haven't done any new projects lately so I'll just update on some old discussion stuff.

DIY Stall Snack - Desi LOVED his licky thing! I hung it in his stall while he was turned out so I didn't get to watch him discover it. But I did come out the next morning and find that he had sticky molasses all over his face and even behind his ears :) With the pelleted feed it's taken him a week to go through it. Next time I'm going to try grinding all the dry ingredients (oats, pellets, etc.) into a powder so it licks off easily without losing pieces on the ground.

Myler Bits - This was a topic I discussed a long time ago but I've since done some new research. My old conclusion that you could not buy a knock-off myler bit was incorrect. With a small caveat - you can really only get a knock off level 1 mouthpiece, or at least a bit with similar features and style, and most of them are 5" mouthpieces. Desi is a 4.5" (which is pony sized and so weird for a 16.1hh horse!) so I really haven't had much success with finding a knock off for him with d-rings (why buy another loose ring if I already have one?). But, if you want a myler level 1 5" mouthpiece, there is no reason to spend the $80 on a real Myler. Unless of course you have a thing for brand names and don't care how much you spend.... Anyways, here is a short list of other sources, I'll be updating it if I find any others!

  • FES Bits from Schneider's Saddlery - $32.99 Great value, seem to be of good quality. Schneiders also carries a few curb-style varieties like the level 2 or 3 mouthpieces. Only available in the 5" mouthpiece.







  • Heritage Saddlery Bits - $46.92 Made in England with great reviews. A little bit more pricey and will have to have them shipped to the U.S. but they carry more sizes, like 4.5"!!


No comments:

Post a Comment