Wednesday, December 10, 2014

DIY Hand Warmers

I just finished making these as part of my Christmas gift to my trainer - re-usable hand warmers! Super simple using supplies you probably already have laying around the house. If your barn has a microwave handy, then these are amazing! The finished hand warmers can be tossed in the microwave for 20-30 seconds to activate.

Things you will need:

  • Fabric
  • Scissors
  • Dry, uncooked rice
  • needle and thread


Step 1). Cut fabric into squares. Most people do 4"x4" but I made them a little smaller and did a 3.5" square.



Step 2.) With right sides together sew edges, leaving an un-stitched portion about 3/4" long.

edges are serged which is faster but a regular machine or even hand stitching would work too

Step 3). Turn fabric right side out. You can use a chopstick or other small pointy thing to push out the corners.


Step 4.) Fill bags a little over 3/4 way with rice and sew shut. You can hand-sew the opening or use a straight stitch on a machine like I did.


That's it! I made 4 sets (8 total) of these in about 20 minutes. I cheated a little because I have access to a serger :)


To mix it up a bit, you can add dry herbs or even essential oils to make them smell great! And the fabric can be cut to any shape, squares are just the fastest.

No comments:

Post a Comment